This website is part of an ongoing effort of The Missouri Bar to encourage, and make it easier for, Missouri attorneys to find opportunities and access resources to provide pro bono service to needy persons and groups, particularly those whose incomes do not allow them to obtain necessary representation through other means.
Pro Bono News in Missouri and Around the Nation
Lawyers Are Uniquely Qualified to Lift a Desperate Person From Despair and Hopelessness
Each year tens of thousands of low-income Missouri families who cannot afford to hire a lawyer are effectively excluded from our legal system, often with devastating consequences. The joint letter from Chief Justice Teitelman and President Starke emailed to members in October applies throughout the year. (Joint Email to Members of The Missouri Bar) (Click Here to View Opportunities)
More than 280 Lawyers Make Up 2012 Pro Bono Wall of Fame
Almost 600 lawyers reported pro bono hours for 2012 with close to half reporting 40 or more hours of pro bono service to low-income individuals who could not afford counsel or to organizations that serve these individuals. It is The Missouri Bar's honor to recognize almost 300 attorneys on the 2012 Pro Bono Wall of Fame. (View 2012 Wall of Fame Honorees)
- Missouri Bar Announces Annual Pro Bono Publico Awards
- New Free Online Toolkit Aims to Inform Lawyers Who Work With Traumatized Youth
- Lawyer’s Pro Bono Work Exposes Robo-Signing Practice, Recognized with $100,000 Purpose Prize
- More than 280 Lawyers Make Up 2012 Pro Bono Wall of Fame
- Committee Finds Online Self-Representation Resources Helping Those Who Need It Most
- NY Is First State to Require Law Students to Do Pro Bono to Get Licensed After Graduation
- Mid-Missouri Legal Svc Offers Free Disaster Document Checklist
Real "Life Changing" Work for Lawyers
Legal Aid and Polsinelli Shughart PC Turn Blighted Apartment Complex into Special Needs Housing
After an out-of-state investment group failed to rehab an apartment complex on the east side of Kansas City, LAWMO and Polsinelli Shughart PC worked together to step in and helped turn a dilapidated complex into housing for individuals with special needs. (Read More)
More Real "Life Changing" Work for Lawyers
- St. Louis Area Pro Bono Lawyers Partner with MHDC to Improve Senior Housing Rentals
- Legal Services and Public Defenders Launch Pilot For Parents Faced with Non-Support Charges
- Legal Services of Help Solve Legal and Life Challenges of Domestic Violence Victim and Her Children
- Single Mother and Her Children Won't Face Homelessness
- Landlord Not Due Rent From Women Living in Dilapidated Housing
- Volunteer Lawyers Needed for Consumer Debt, Foreclosure, and Public Health & Benefit Cases
- KC Transactional Attorneys Help Create Non-Profit Alternative to Pay Day Loan
How to Use This Site -- Quick Tips for Lawyers
Click on the “For Volunteer Attorneys” link at the top of the page to search for pro bono opportunities by:
- Specific affiliate organization/agencies registered with the site.
- Area of practice.
- A particular geographic area within the state.
Use the contact information included with each pro bono opportunity to communicate directly with the “affiliate” to see if the opportunity and affiliate is right for you.
Join the thousands of lawyers who offer their legal knowledge and skill to fulfill the professional obligation of ensuring that access to justice is available to everyone.
Quick Links to: (Visit Pro Bono Search Tool) (Learn More About Registered Affiliates on this Site)
Spotlight on Lawyers/Law Firms Making a Difference
More Than 50 Thompson Coburn Attorneys Named to Missouri Bar Pro Bono Wall of Fame
Thompson Coburn attorneys in Missouri logged more than 2,000 hours of pro bono service in 2012. The Missouri Bar honored these practitioners for their service to the legal community, naming 52 Thompson Coburn attorneys to the Missouri Bar Pro Bono Wall of Fame. (News Release)